Building mental resilience among healthcare professionals during emergencies in Dubai
• The recent COVID 19 outbreak has brought emergency preparedness to the center of government planning.
• Healthcare professionals (HCPs) are among the first responders to this protracted health emergency, which increases their risk of developing mental illness.
• During COVID 19 pandemic, around four percent of all infections were of healthcare professionals.
• Systematic reviews report an increased risk of developing mental illness among healthcare professionals who
undergo quarantine or isolation with a notably higher prevalence of anxiety symptoms and decreased psychological well being.
• The Emirate of Dubai has an average of 3 physicians and 3.6 nurses per 1,000 population and 92% of all healthcare
professionals are expatriates.